Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Of Lunch and Song

I've racked my brain to remember school trips. I know I went to the museums and zoos in Chicago, but oddly enough, I can't remember one single detail about the actual places I visited. I know I had a lot of fun. I just know it.

What I do remember is figuring out what to put in the brown lunch bag. Discussions and arguments usually occurred. I heard the usual mom phrases as "that will spoil" and "it will be soggy" to "it will melt!" Oh I did not care. I was going on a T R I P and I had to have L U N C H! PB&J, Fritos, a Hostess Ding Dong or Suzy Q, and a Capri Sun was the usual. I'll be soooo hungry during my T R I P. I neeeeeeed two of each, or I would starve! (*Disclaimer: I always ate most of my lunch before we even got to wherever it was we were going. Well duh!)

I also remember the songs. John Jacob (you're welcome!), the Song That Never Ends (and again!), and my all time favorite, The Other Day I Met a Bear (out in the woods oh way out there). Over and over again. God bless the bus drivers and chaperons.

So these all important T R I P S that the school gave us to expand our minds and be "culturfied" (hey I'm from Indiana) left me with memories of brown bags and silly kid songs and laughter.

Oh yeah, sooooo worth it.


remembeRED -- write a memory of a school trip you took.
http://thereddressclub.blogspot.com/2011/06/remembered-school-trip.html

5 comments:

  1. Love it lady! This is so me- all about the yums and the music!

    I loved the conversational tone of this. Like you and me talking over wine and chocolate. Or Capri Suns and Din Dongs. Whatever. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved packing a brown bag lunch. My mom would always write my name in bold decorative letters to make it easier to find. And there would always be a note.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love brown bags, silly songs, and laughter.

    That is perfect.

    I don't remember "The Other Day I Met a Bear" one, though.


    Now you are making me want to go on a TRIP!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our school supplied lunches for us as part of the trip. I can't remember most of where our trips were either but I loved going on them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really wonder if the bus drivers wore ear plugs. Because those songs? I don't think I could listen to them once now!

    ReplyDelete